Friday, April 8, 2011

A wonderful little trick

It's very dry in the studio lately, which I realized is not a very good thing for the supply of watercolour paper. Due to the lack of humidity in the room the paper has a tendency to loose it's absorbing attributes. This was affecting my current artwork, without the humidity in the paper, the Pantone ink wasn't absorbing properly and the texture and colour was changing.

However thanks to my clever man, Emmanuel (who is also a very talented artist) the problem was solved by a simple technique: - "Try breathing directly over your paper; that way the paper will absorb the humidity from your breath" - he said. What a simply marvelous idea, and it worked like a charm.

After using this trick, I decided to experiment a little, by breathing over a section where the edges of the marker strokes were previously applied and not blended to my satisfaction. Sure enough the humidity from my breath sank into the paper and the edges smoothed out.

So there you have a quick little trick for dried out watercolour paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment