Friday, May 13, 2011

Love thy name ~ A batallion of Rubber Duckies


A Battalion of Rubber Duckies (2007) Acrylic, 24" x 36"
Inspired by Ottawa's yearly charity duck race 

Giving a title to your artwork is not always an obvious task, but it is an important step to giving a piece substance and presence. 

In the fall of 2006 I participated in the annual Gallery 255 exhibit for the Conference Board of Canada. There I entered "Sweet Summer Strawberries" (2006), which was immediately admired by one of the Gallery's patrons. She loved the work but wasn't completely sold on it; I then mentioned that I was working on a new canvas that I entitled "A Battalion of Rubber Duckies". She was so delighted by the title, that the year after (once it was finished) came straight to the gallery and purchased the enchanting artwork!

This was my first lesson on the importance of the finished product and what a difference a good title can make. Art is a product of our true selves and it doesn't just end after the last brush stroke or once it's hung on a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment