Thursday, June 30, 2011

JULY ~ Inspiration month

I would like to dedicate the month of July to the important personalities of the illustration industry. It's all about discovering illustrators and artists that have been a great source of inspiration for many. To kick off Inspiration Month I would like to start at the beginning; with the Cartoonist Bill Watterson.

When I was a little girl I was an avid comic book reader (thanks to my older brother's vast collection of comic books). One of my favorites was Calvin and Hobbes illustrated by an American cartoonist Bill Watterson. I would spend my entire afternoons reading over and over the entire collection. For many years Calvin and Hobbes was (and still is) one of my fondest childhood memories.

However, it wasn't till a few years ago that I started to look closely (with a professional eye) at the artwork behind the comic strip. I realized that Calvin and Hobbes was not just a wonderfully cheeky childhood favorite of mine, but a strong source of inspiration. The effective simplicity of the lines and the beautifully watercolor backgrounds are nothing short of a masterpiece in my opinion!

Bill Watterson is a fantastic cartoonist and I encourage those who are interested in important figures of the illustration industry to check out his biography and works.

No comments:

Post a Comment